Saturday, January 21, 2012

Evaluation and Management of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding in Premenopausal Women



harmacologic Treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
MedicationDosageCost of generic (brand)[*]Comments
Anovulatory bleeding
Combination oral contraceptives[4]≤ 35 mcg of ethinyl estradiol monophasic or triphasic pillsNA ($9 to 92)
    Provides contraception
    Contraindications include smokers older than 35 years, personal history or high risk of deep venous thrombosis or pulmonary embolism, multiple risk factors for arterial cardiovascular disease, history of breast cancer, and severe cirrhosis or liver cancer[33] 
Medroxyprogesterone acetate (Provera)[9]10 mg per day for 10 to 14 days per month$13 ($38)
    Does not provide contraception
    Caution in patients with severe hepatic dysfunction 
Endometrial hyperplasia without atypia
Medroxyprogesterone acetate[14]10 mg per day for 14 days per month$13 ($38)
    Does not provide contraception
    Caution in patients with severe hepatic dysfunction
Megestrol (Megace)[11]40 mg per day$25 (NA as tablets)
    Does not provide contraception
    Caution in patients with severe hepatic dysfunction 
Levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system (Mirena)[31]Releases 20 mcg per 24 hoursNA ($562[‡])
    96 percent regression rate for hyperplasia without atypia[31]
    Provides contraception for five years
    May cause irregular bleeding or amenorrhea
    Contraindications include breast cancer; uterine anomaly that distorts the cavity; acute pelvic or cervical infection; and severe cirrhosis or liver cancer[33]
    More expensive initially, but similar to other therapies when averaged over five years 









Ovulatory bleeding
Levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system [34] [35]Releases 20 mcg per 24 hoursNA ($562[‡])FDA-approved for menorrhagia in 2009; see additional comments above
Medroxyprogesterone acetate[34]10 mg per day for 21 days per month$16 ($40)
    Does not provide contraception
    Effective short-term therapy for decreasing heavy flow
    Not tolerated as well long term as levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system
    Caution in patients with severe hepatic dysfunction 
NSAIDs [36] [37]
Ibuprofen600 to 1,200 mg per day, five days per month$4 ($16)
    Begin first day of menses and continue for five days or until menses ceases
    Treats dysmenorrhea
Naproxen sodium (Anaprox)550 to 1,100 mg per day, five days per month$4 ($50)Caution in patients with gastrointestinal risks
Mefenamic acid (Ponstel)1,500 mg per day, five days per month$429 ($553)
Tranexamic acid (Lysteda) [38] [39]650 mg; two tablets three times per day, five days per monthNA ($170)
    FDA-approved for menorrhagia in 2009
    Begin first day of menses and continue for five days [38] [39] 
    Caution in patients with history or risk of thromboembolic or renal disease
    Contraindicated if patient has active intravascular clotting or subarachnoid hemorrhage
    Considerably more expensive than other available therapies

2 comments:

  1. How I became a happy woman again
    With tears of joy and happiness I am giving out my testimony to all viewers on line, my problem with Stomach Cancer stage IB and HIV has caused me many pains and sadness especially in my family.
    I was so afraid of loosing my life, I suffered the embarrassment of visiting
    therapy hundreds of times, unfortunately they did not find a definitive solution to my problem, I cried all day and night, do I have to live my life this way? I searched all true the internet for care, I was scammed by internet fraudsters times without numbers… until a friend of mine who stays in the UK introduced me to a friend of hers who was cured of the same disease, and she introduced me to Dr Itua who cured her from Breast Cancer by this email/WhatsApp +2348149277967,  drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com. I contacted him and he promised that all will be fine and I had faith.He sent me his herbal medicines through Courier service and i was instructed on how to drink it for three weeks to cure,I followed the instruction given to me and Today am a happy woman again. He cures all kind of diseases like__Brain cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Ovarian cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma,Herpes,,Liver cancer,Throat cancer,
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresS sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma  Infectious mononucleosis.
    Intestinal cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Brain Tumor,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicityBladder cancer,Hiv,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Kidney cancer,Hpv,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors
    Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Sinus cancer,Hepatitis A,B/C,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer,
    Testicular cancer,Tach Diseases,Leukemia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading your Blog . I  have experienced the opening and closing of the heart or spiritual heart and message center. And have been releasing many testimony that have been helpful and still were held in my heart. I have been writing and posting up over this past month and in it's help a lot of people on their health problems and have come greater expressions of love and compassion for myself and others. I found that these past testimony that I have been posting at the time of mine get more attention in these blogs on information about herbal treatment of Dr Itua. I had no idea they were still being hell of sick people around the world till the deep posting  began and they came into awareness.Dr Itua herbal medicine cure my diabetes and my husband's erectile dysfunctions it's help us a lot and we thank Dr Itua very much on his good deeds to us so reason I have been writing about him on every blog I came across with for people with health issue can relate and get well with Dr Itua herbal medicines, Dr Itua can cure Hiv,Herpes,Als,Hepatitis,Cancer,Ms,Menstrual Pain,Parkinson and some other health problem human being can encounter.
    Contact him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com www.drituaherbalcenter.com. Thank you for your love and opened to sharing your knowledge with us all through this blogsite. All my love,

    ReplyDelete